Uterine Fibroid Embolization in Pittsburgh, PA
What is Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)?
Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) is a less invasive procedure for the treatment of uterine fibroids.
The process typically lasts less than an hour and requires only a small incision into the femoral artery. The procedure is designed to block the blood supply to the uterine fibroids, causing them to shrink. As one of the alternatives to hysterectomy procedures, UFE is clinically proven to reduce the major symptoms of uterine fibroids.
BENEFITS | RISKS & COMPLICATIONS | IS IT RIGHT FOR ME? | UFE TREATMENT
- Preservation of the uterus
- Decrease in heavy menstrual bleeding from symptomatic fibroids
- Decrease in urinary dysfunction
- Decrease in pelvic pain and/or pressure
- Virtually no blood loss
- Covered by most insurance companies
- This procedure lasts approximately 60-90 minutes. Patients go home 4 hours after the procedure.
- UFE offers no hospital stay, a faster return to work, and fewer complications after 30 days when compared to having a hysterectomy.1
- Reduced worry about bleeding through clothing
- Significant improvement in patient’s physical and emotional well-being
Overall, UFE is a safe procedure and is a treatment for uterine fibroids that involves minimal risk. 90% of all women were satisfied or very satisfied at final follow up.2
Risks and Complications
(As with any medical procedure, discuss all risks and complications with your physician)
- Non-target embolization
- Transient amenorrhea (absence of a women’s menstrual period)
- Common short-term allergic reaction/rash
- Vaginal discharge/infection
- Possible fibroid passage
- Post-embolization syndrome (post-procedure pain, fever, tiredness, and elevated white blood cell count)
- Premature menopause
Is UFE Right for Me?
Find out if you are a candidate for uterine fibroid embolization.
Take some time to understand the UFE treatment procedure before you make your decision on your fibroid treatment option. Learn what to expect before, during and after the UFE treatement.
- Spies J et al. Outcome of uterine embolization and hysterectomy for leiomyomas: results of a multicenter study. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004;191: 22-31.
- Lohle, P. et al. Long term outcome of uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine leiomyomas. JVIR 2008; 19:319-326
© 2023 Merit Medical Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Schedule a Consultation in Pittsburgh, PA
If you've been diagnosed with uterine fibroids, a less-invasive UFE procedure may be a good option for you. Women in the Pittsburgh area can contact fibroids specialist Brent T. Steadman, MD to talk through all of their fibroids treatment options. Dr. Steadman is board-certified in interventional radiology and has extensive experience treating women who are tired of suffering from fibroids. Contact us today to schedule an appointment in Pittsburgh.